Saturday, November 23, 2013

Rock and Roll Can Never Die

Counting some draft posts I've been working on, here are all of the artists I've quoted for my post titles:

Guided By Voices: 9
This is actually not a big surprise, but nonetheless I have caught myself off guard with how very much I seem to like Guided By Voices.

Neil Young; Rush: 5
Also not a surprise, since Neil occupied the place that GBV did before I knew about them. I'm kind of surprised to see Rush as Neil's only companion in this category, but it makes sense.

The Monkees; Yeah Yeah Yeahs: 4
Very weird to see two bands so damn different in third place.

The Beatles; The Black Keys; The Doors; Jethro Tull; Johnny Marr; Pink Floyd: 3
I'll take it, but i thought I'd quoted the Black Keys more than that.

Billy Joel; Bloc Party; Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band; Don McLean; Elton John; Emerson, Lake & Palmer; Jet; The Rolling Stones; 'Weird Al' Yankovic; The Who: 2
Sounds good to me.

And the long list of, as it were, one-hit-wonders:
Creedence Clearwater Revival; The Donnas; Johnny Cash; The Arcade Fire; Band Of Horses; Silversun Pickups; Wild Flag; The Desperate Bicycles; Tom Waits; Mission Of Burma; Manilla Road; David Bowie; Coldplay; The Five Man Electrical Band; Donnie Iris; The Mike Curb Congregation; Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds; Joe Walsh; Tom Vek; Lynyrd Skynyrd; XTC; Toto; The Mooney Suzuki; Camper Van Beethoven; The Mamas & The Papas; Dragonforce; Arlo Guthrie; The Like; ZZ Topp; Ok Go; Charlie Daniels; The Darkness; The Breeders; Dinosaur Jr.; We Are Scientists; The Jam; Raconteurs; Archers Of Loaf; Blue Oyster Cult ; Johnny Preston, oddly enough; Ramones; The Grateful Dead; Chuck Berry; Dire Straits; Misissippi Fred MacDowell; Pat Travers Band; The Walkmen; Elvis Presley; Aldo Nova; George Thorogood; Sleigh Bells; The MC5; Blondie; Paul McCartney & Wings; Hank Snow; Talking Heads; Gamma; Beck; Replacements; Led Zeppelin; Donovan; Def Leppard; Younha; McFadden's Parachute; The Von Bondies.

Plus there's one song whose artist is unknown, and one traditional whose rendition I had in mind was by Boxcar Willie.

No comments: