Sunday, November 22, 2015

Around Another Bend, The Giant Drivers Roll

A few weeks ago, I had an opportunity do some railfan photography; and planned to get trackside after paying a brief visit to my grandfather. He was in residence for physical therapy for two weeks at an area nursing home, and when I visited he had just come back from the gym. I didn't want to overtax him, so we chatted for a little while and I got rolling. 

My plan was to photograph some of the locations along the Bessemer & Lake Erie, especially some things that might be going away soon. I planned on making my start at the north signal protecting the siding near Ivywood. I pulled up to the spot, where there's a place to pull off of the road next to the signal. I got my camera ready, and as I was opening the door of the car, I heard a noise I didn't expect. I turned to look up the tracks and there was a southbound coming right then and there!


I grabbed the above shot and dashed to the south end of the siding. I actually had to wait for them to come in sight, briefly; and then took the next couple shots. Coming...


...and going.


After another dash south, to Culmerville, I found a decent vantage point on the bridge crossing the Bessemer line in town. This turned out to be a fantastic shot, I think.


Last but not least, I was able to get to Harmarville, and get these two photos of the train crossing the bridge over the Allegheny River. A zoom lens would have been nice here. Have to save up.


I could have used a better vantage point I found while poking around after the train disappeared, incidentally. Crossing the Gulf Lab Road bridge over the Turnpike would have given a clearer shot. Next time!


Also I was just in time to catch Norfolk Southern passing the PPG paint plant and the Cheswick power plant.


Quite a full day.

No comments: