Monday, July 9, 2012

Chaska Nebraska Alaska Opelika

I can't stand country music under modern circumstances. But I love the old stuff. I'm warning you now, however, that I'm not really a fan of Johnny Cash. If he's the oldest country artist you like, prepare to be either disappointed or enlightened by what follows (quite a lot of what, actually).

I've Been Everywhere - Hank Snow

A clever YouTuber has found images for just about every location mentioned in the song, with quite a lot of railroad presence, which I like. Also interesting is the pre-WWII photo of Pittsburgh, with the old Point bridges in place. A very good traveling song that me and my friends have enjoyed on trips here and there.

As I was looking for this, I found an interesting version of the Wabash Cannonball, also by Hank Snow. Interestingly, the steam freight scenes are filmed on the Nickel Plate Road (properly known as the New York, Chicago & St. Louis), a midwestern competitor of the Wabash!

Great treatment of this fine old (and often altered) song from Hank.

Waterloo - Stonewall Jackson

Another classic from 1959.

Amos Moses - Jerry Reed

Sit down on'em, Amos! Make it count, son! The late, great Jerry Reed rolled out this swamp-cajun-country fusion number in 1970, and is one of the coolest pieces of country music I've ever heard. Also check out his tracks When You're Hot, You're Hot and Eastbound & Down.

There Ain't No Easy Run - Dave Dudley

My all-time favorite from the king of truck-driver music. I also recommend Six Days On The Road, Girl On The Billboard and Give Me Forty Acres. Great, great stuff.

Sudbury Saturday Night - Stompin' Tom Connors

Oh, man, where do I start? The greatest Canadian country musician of all time too much? Classic songs that few in the US have heard, he's so Canadian. He refused his Juno music awards because he was tired of other winners making their fame in the US instead of at home like he did. Moon Man Newfie, The Ketchup Song, and Bud The Spud all helped introduce me to this legend of the Great White North.

No comments: