Sunday, December 2, 2012

Emotional Feedback On Timeless Wavelength

After I got my first MP3 player, a 4GB Zune that I've been trying to find recently, I all but stopped listening to the radio. Occasionally tuning into Jim Quinn in the mornings was about it, until recently. I've been turned on to listening to 91.3-WYEP (Where The Music Matters!) by a combination of friends of mine; railfan pal Matt, and Jeremy and Woody from work.

I am so glad they talked me into giving the station a try; I've heard new stuff I already like and have been introduced to more still since tuning in. That's where I discovered Poliça, Minus The Bear, Florence + The Machine, and Django Django; heard new things from Guided By Voices, Dinosaur Jr. and Tegan And Sara; and just generally playing much better music than I've ever heard on the radio since Channel 97 imploded. I find myself saying that a son sounds like so-and-so band, and it indeed turns out to be them. Too cool. 

In particular, I've come to like their Block Party and After Hours shows. I hear more stuff I like in the evening than I seem to during the day. Not that I've had much chance to listen during the day, since I can't pick them up at work. I am strongly considering making a donation to keep them around.

No comments: